Thursday

Frankie Edgar: 'I'll give BJ Penn a reason to quit'

Submission Radio recently interviewed (full audio above) former lightweight champion Frankie Edgar, who spoke about the man he beat to become champion - BJ Penn. Edgar has beaten Penn by decision twice before but the two are set to face one another, this time at featherweight.

They've been coaching opposite one another on The Ultimate Fighter and will fight again on the Finale card for the season, July 6. Edgar may not have initially been enthused to fight a guy he's already between twice before, but he understands how that the competitor in Penn made him want the bout.

"It's the competitive nature of BJ, you know. I'm a competitor myself, and I guess those wins that I have over him still sting on him, and he just wants a chance to get back at it," Edgar said.

"My motivation is, I just want to get back to the title. You know, in order to do that I'm going to have to win every fight in front of me. And just the fact that I don't want to lose the third time out. I won twice, for sure I don't want to lose the third time out."

Edgar also finds extra motivation in the goal of actually finishing Penn this time. Edgar has beaten Penn by decision twice but this time wants to put "The Prodigy" out, perhaps for good.

"A guy like BJ is especially hard - I think he's maybe been stopped once. You know, and that was really in-between a round, not even during a round." he explained.

"It's definitely going to be a big mountain to climb, but that is my goal. I'll try to give him a reason to quit, and maybe he'll kind of do it for me."

Do you think Edgar can finish and retire BJ Penn? Let us know in the comments section.

Follow Elias on Twitter @EliasCepeda & @YahooCagewriter

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/frankie-edgar---i-ll-give-bj-penn-a-reason-to-quit-174338230.html

Marcio Pe de Pano Cruz Luke Cummo  Jeff Big Frog Curran Dai Shuanghai